Wikipedia defines a proxy server as "a computer that offers a computer network service to allow clients to make indirect network connections to other network services. A client connects to the proxy server, then requests a connection, file, or other resource available on a different server. The proxy provides the resource either by connecting to the specified server or by serving it from a cache." Wordnet has a more general meaning: "a person authorized to act for another".
Google is a supercomputer that performs a set of actions for its users or on behalf of its users.
Google is a proxy for the web
* find information on the web
* view the cached page that contains the information, even if the site is unavailable
* view the page on the mobile phone, even if it's not suited for that medium
* view Office documents, PDF files, PostScript files, even if you don't have Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader or GhostScript
* Google Web Accelerator fetches web pages in advance to improve the speed of your web browsing
Google is a proxy for businesses
* with Google Checkout, you don't have to worry about disclosing sensitive information about your bank account to untrustful merchants
* through Click-to-Call, you can talk to companies free and anonymously using Google proxy
* you can sell products even if you don't have a site, using Google Base and Google Checkout
Google is a proxy for your life
* Google Desktop keeps track of all the web pages you visit and all documents you had on your computer. So it's a great complement for your memory
* Google News shows the news through different lenses so you don't lose your critical thinking
* Blogger is a mirror of things that were important for you. I use this blog as a complex bookmarking system for great software, interesting websites and news that made a difference
* your conversations are searchable through Gmail, Google Chat and Google Talk. Everything you say can be used. It's more accurate than your pictures.
Android 4.4.2 now rolling out to Nexus 4, 5, 7, and 10
12 minutes ago