An unofficial blog that watches Google's attempts to move your operating system online since 2005. Not affiliated with Google.

Send your tips to gostips@gmail.com.

April 1, 2006

The Real Google Prank: Google Romance

This year's Google prank isn't Google Browser or Google Rooms, nor the launch of Google Calendar, Google MBD, Google Health and not even the public release of Gmail. It's Google Romance.


"Ever been on a date and wondered "What on Earth am I doing with this person?" Or perhaps you wished there was a way that you could instantly find your perfect match, and then go on a date during which everything just went right?

Wish no more: Google Romance, a beta product currently incubating in Google Labs, uses cutting-edge personal search algorithms to help you find your soulmate, then sponsors your first Contextual Date with said soulmate-to-be in exchange for showing you highly relevant advertising that just might help Cupid's arrow find its mark. Does it really work? Ask our internal beta testers -- if you can find them, that is. Not a single one has shown up for work in days." (Google Blog)



"Our internal projections say Contextual Dating is going to be unbelievably huge, just a total cash cow," said Google CEO Eric Schmidt in prepared remarks placed into the notes section of an executive PowerPoint presentation and intended solely for internal use but promptly leaked onto the web and then roundly mocked on Digg and Slashdot.

Use Google Romance and "you'll live happily, and contextually, ever after."

3 comments:

  1. I was excited. I wqent to sign up -- and IT WAS A PRANK. I was diappointed and miffed, but I think if Google had this service for real, it would be a huge success

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was excited. I went to sign up --and IT WAS A PRANK. I was diappointed and miffed, but I think if Google had this service for real, it would be a huge success

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that it would be a great application for Google to have as well, what with gmail and gtalk. I too was dissapointed when I went to the site. Such a prank has dampened my view of Google.

    ReplyDelete