An unofficial blog that watches Google's attempts to move your operating system online since 2005. Not affiliated with Google.

Send your tips to gostips@gmail.com.

November 17, 2010

You Can't Search for Android from an Android Phone

This is a really strange bug. If you use Google to search for [android], [android market] or [android phone] from an Android phone, you won't get any result. Google only shows ads related to your query and a standard message: "Your search did not match any documents".


It's not clear if this is an Android bug or a Google search bug, but it's certainly not an Easter egg. If you don't have an Android phone, try this page to use the Android-optimized interface.

Update: it seems that the same bug affects Google's iPhone interface and there are many other queries that don't return any result. "When signed into the mobile site, I see some search results, but not for all queries. I'm on a Nexus One. In the classic interface, everything works fine," says a Google user. "I'm having the same issue on an iPhone 4. No results for super common terms, but images and location searches are unaffected," confirms another user.

Update 2 (one day later): The issue was fixed.

{ Thanks, Andrew. }

30 comments:

  1. Em, no?

    Searches for Android/Android phone works without trouble on my Android device.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google Nexus One user in India. I can confirm it is the same here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Works quite fine for me. May be it's something with you :) (Android, AOSP 2.2)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem searching for android in Norway. (Galaxy S w/Froyo)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The link in the article also show results just fine...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cited link also does not work for "augusta" and "augusta chronicle" but does work for "amarillo."

    Earlier today, on an iPhone, I searched for "augusta chronicle" and came up with zero documents.

    Yes, Google has a bug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try looking for "wireframe" in google docs template list does not work either...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Works just fine for me. HTC Incredible. Froyo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn if I can't remember what I was searching for, but I ran into this the other day. Entering a term in the Google homepage returned no results, but entering the same term into an Images search showed results as expected...

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first I thought it was just me. I've been having the same issue for a couple days. I noticed it when I searched for the terms "android programming blog" and Google displayed no results. If I repeat the search on my friend's Vibrant he gets tons of results. I have a Nexus One.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did a search for "Google Voice" on an iPhone 4 Safari Mobile Browser and got the same no-results error.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is working fine on my android phone

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard that if you search for "Google" on Google you could break the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Searching "android" worked on my Samsung Galaxy 5.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Working fine here.
    HTC G1 with CyanogenMod 6.1 Nightly (Android 2.2.1)

    @Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  16. All ok from lg gt540 1.6 Italy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just searched for 'Android' at HTC Desire Froyo2.2, very healthy results : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Search works on localized Google page but doesn't work on English page.

    ReplyDelete
  19. On my Verizon HTC Incredible, searching for android through either the Google search app or the Google web interface gives 211 million results.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They must be holding it wrong. Everything works fine here on a Samsung Galaxy S with Froyo

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG! It IS true you can break the internet. http://bit.ly/d1k5Or

    ReplyDelete
  22. Definitely not an Android problem. It seems like the problem appears only if you have the parameter "hl=en" on the url. That's why it works fine for people outside the US.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Works fine on my Galaxy S

    ReplyDelete
  24. works on my hero 1.5 even auto suggest works ("an" brings up different android suggestions)

    ReplyDelete
  25. working fine... G1 on Froyo CM6... this is the page:
    http://www.google.com/m?&client=ms-android-google&source=android-home

    notice the difference..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Search shows results for me; HTC Desire, stock unrooted Android 2.2.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You speak lies!

    [MyTouch 3g w/ cyan 2.2 on T-Mobile US]

    ReplyDelete